Monday, June 25, 2007

Trip to "Utah's C[h]ristmas [T]own"



A short trip to Helper, Utah brought us to a quiet town springing up on both sides of Highway 89. An old mining town, it is known for the trains that pass through, local art, and the new $1,000,000 pool that locals are paying for now with their taxes. Rachel, Michelle, and I found a warm welcome from local artists Lenda Leek, Tom Williams, and Dave Johnsen. Main Street, with little to no traffic whatsoever, nevertheless was bursting with colors, smells, and nostalgia. A return trip is in the works with Rachel now preparing for "Helper Idol" -- just one part of the well-known Helper Arts Festival at the end of August. A 12-year-old boy from Vernal was "discovered" there last year, and now has a record deal in Nashville. Not bad for a small, Central Utah town.

5 comments:

Thirdmango said...

I love Helper, it's one of my favorite cities in Utah.

Myra Bybee said...

Now I want to go to Helper, Utah too!

just a little bit mo said...

Let's roadtrip, Myra!

Cassidy said...

Wait!?! A million dollar pool?!?! I think you need to post a picture of that asap!

Michelle said...

remember the "bathrooms" by the pool? remember the magnets? remember that giant dog? remember how it loved me? remember how linda painted and made chainmail dresses? I loved that trip. I am so happy you had the opportunity to go to T-town as well. I can't wait for you to see what else is in this world! You are gonna love it!