Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Year of Regeneration


This time last year I chose a word that I wanted to shape my decisions around in 2013. (I am very abstract like this sometimes.) The word I chose was Regeneration. Interesting for me is looking back at the opportunities, both happy and dark, that led to successfully shaping my year.

For the sake of easy listing, I've categorized things very generally.

Physical
In thinking of regeneration and how it would apply to me physically, I made a couple big decisions. The first meant shedding more than fifty be-shackling pounds. One year later, I'm fifty-five pounds the lighter.

The second began with me researching LASIK surgery. I couldn't think of anything more befitting this year of regeneration than receiving the gift of clear sight. In March, everything lined up. I went in to the Eye Institute for the procedure. By the end of the day I was already seeing better. My vision continued to improve over the course of the next week and month. It was and is miraculous. I can see! (Huge blessing that made this possible -- everything lined up with insurance and HSA, so we didn't have any out-of-pocket expense with it.)

As to physical surroundings, again two things. First, I established a system for keeping on top of household tasks and cleaning. (Look at me! I can hardly believe I'm an INFP anymore! But I am . . . though technically now borderline INFJ.)

Second, we saved up for and bought a couch! (New to us!) It means a lot to not have to look at a really worn-out, grey, and depressing-looking couch everyday. We also got a couple new tablecloths, which has made our living space much happier!

Emotional
When it came to emotional regeneration, I made a list of things that were making me feel bitter or angry about life. Then I began feeling my way through, seeing a counselor here and there as we were able to afford.

To list a few things (again, in an effort to be more concrete):

1) I felt anger and shame with myself for not being ready to have another kid. Part of it stemmed from fear of re-entering the NICU with the next baby. The NICU experience was a trauma for me. Finally opening myself up and talking with God, friends, family, and - randomly - a couple very understanding receptionists at my dentist's office, I've come to accept that there is no shame in waiting.

I'm dead-tired of hearing people say, "But you're never really 'ready.'" "Not being ready" isn't just an excuse that selfish people throw out. "Not being ready" is a very valid reason for holding off. More to come in #3.

2) I felt a lot of anger and bitterness toward friends who left the Church, compounded by feelings of guilt and inadequacy at myself for a) feeling angry at their decision; b) not being a good enough member missionary to keep them in. Also, their decision to leave coupled with my decision to stay in, led me to wonder whether they would understand and support me though I have chosen differently than they.

I had to remember that a) Jesus is Savior, not me; b) we all (thankfully!!!) have free agency; c) this life is a journey of choices that could someday lead any one of them back, but chances are they're not going to end up in hell anyway, and again, Jesus is Savior not me; d) it's okay to feel angry. Once I allowed myself to feel angry, I was surprised how quickly it went away. I also realized that if they truly are friends, they will love me and support me, though they may also go through times of anger and bitterness.

3) Postpartum depression. This is tough to talk about. In July, a friend took her life while going through postpartum depression. No one knew she was even experiencing it. She (like myself) tended to smile a lot and keep things upbeat.

This was a HUGE wake-up call for me.

I started talking to people about my struggle with postpartum. My family, I was shocked to learn, hadn't even realized I was going through any kind of depression. My bishop encouraged me to talk with different sisters in the ward (his wife included) who had dealt with it, so I could begin developing a community of support. My husband had already known I was going through a "bad spell," but Serenity's death helped him realize the gravity of what I had gone through/was going through. His family has also been a great support to me.

I'm still working through this one, to be honest. The idea of willingly going through postpartum depression again is pretty daunting. But I've come a long, long way and little by little I've seen a community of support strengthening around me, and I know choices I can make to help things be better.

Intellectual/Creative

Any progress on this front would be considered regeneration, since during the months of breastfeeding and working through all the issues above, my standards weren't all that high in this department . . .

I finally read Middlemarch all the way through - thanks to the audiobook and a long roadtrip to New Mexico and back.

Jon and I started a little rock band we call Furious George.

I've learned to view photography again as something I love, and not just something that hangs a deadline over me.

I've started reading through Mormon Women Have Their Say and attending a lovely Mormon-feminist book group to discuss it. It's been really beautiful.


To sum up, this was by far my most successful bout of New Year's resolution-ing I've ever had. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it, because technically I know goals are supposed to meet certain criteria in order to be "effective" and yet I found myself thriving in the openness that this goal presented.

I may do this again this year, but with a different theme. If I do, I'll let you know in another twelve months. ;)


5 comments:

Becky said...

I also struggled with postpartum derepression after Preston. It was a hellish, lonely, isolating place to be. I still struggle with guilt feelings about that whole first year after he was born. Luckily I haven't experienced it again in either of my subsequent pregnancies but it made it incredibly difficult for me to want any more kids. I knew I didn't want just one but the idea of going through PPD again freaked me out.

It sounds like you've had a great year in getting through some difficult times. I don't have a theme for my new year but I am trying to set some concrete goals for my new year. Sometimes I feel like I don't exist outside of being "mom" so I hope to do a few things that I've wanted to do for a long time. (Learn to play 2 songs on the guitar, plant a vegetable garden, finish organizing/decluttering my house. Small things that will make a bug difference in my life.)

Thanks for your candid post. It helps me feel less guilty to know others have had similar, less than blissfull postpartum experiences.

The Reinerts said...

Can I just say how much I sincerely love your blog posts? I always read something on your blog that teaches me something. Whether it is about how introverts think or learning to say "no" to people. I LOVE reading your posts. Today I learned that it is okay for me to not be in a place where I want another baby. I've been feeling guilty because I have a "time frame" that would give the best chance for being able to conceive naturally and I'm just not ready. It has felt selfish but you really helped me realize that it wouldn't be best for me and my family. And that is a huge weight off my shoulders. I mean, I'm still going to be thinking about it but it is always nice to know that I'm not alone. And I'm not a bad person for needing that time to wait and prepare myself.
And it is very brave for you to talk about postpartum depression. There is such a stigma around it that most people don't want to talk about it but it is one of those things that needs to be talked about so that people with postpartum can find each other and support each other. So...yeah...I just think you are really cool all the time.

Cheryln52 said...

Maria, I really love your title for your new year's decisions. I'd never thought of it like that, but I think I'll borrow Regeneration for my 2014 plans!
I love your blog because of the insights it gives me into you, and it helps me love you even more!
Thanks.
Mom

just a little bit mo said...

Just so the whole dialogue that accompanied the post on Facebook (and so visitors here will know they are not alone):

Nagustuhan ito nina Meisha Binkley, Angie McNair, Jennie Garcia at ng 17 pang iba.

Maria Olsen Northrup Analiesa - remember when you gave me the idea of setting the abstract goal?
Jan 1 at 3:48 PM · Like · 2

Krista Clement Maria, what a beautiful blog post! Thank you for sharing. Anger can be a useful tool sometimes, though. I like this quotation: "Anger is the firestorm that signals the death of our old life. Anger is the fuel that propels us into our new one. Anger is a tool, not a master ... Sloth, apathy, and despair are the enemy. Anger is not. Anger is our friend ... It will always tell us that it is time to act in our own best interests. Anger is not action itself. It is action's invitation." ( Julia Cameron taken from The Artist's Way. I hope you have a wonderful 2014.
Jan 1 at 4:03 PM · Like · 2

Maria Olsen Northrup I love Julia Cameron and thank you so much for sharing that. It's been passing through anger that's helped open the door to love, trust, and understanding.
Jan 1 at 4:05 PM · Like · 1

Krista Clement One of the sentinels at the gates.
Jan 1 at 4:05 PM · Like · 1

Dalene Rex Rowley Sometime you and I will have to talk about some of these things IRL. But thank you for being real and for sharing your journey over this past year - I had no idea. Regeneration is courageous!
Jan 1 at 4:36 PM · Like · 1

Margot J. Hakanson I'm thinking we need to spend more time together. You are the coolest. I love this post.
Jan 1 at 4:52 PM · Like · 1

Maria Olsen Northrup Dalene - thank you! And I'd also like to talk about what's you've been going through this past year. Your post really got me thinking. Margot - Yes and yes!
Jan 1 at 5:08 PM · Gusto ko ito

Cassie Bradway Brown Thank you Maria. I'd like to know how you found the ability to trust people enough to talk with them. That's my major problem and it's good to know someone has overcome that. Beautiful post.
Jan 1 at 5:24 PM · Gusto ko ito

Maria Olsen Northrup Cassie - I guess I didn't know who I could trust. Serenity's death is really what pushed me to start talking, because I knew what kind of dark place she'd been in and I didn't want any other friends to suffer and feel the need to take their own life. Also, I felt a lot of motivation to help other friends who were also silently suffering to feel like a part of a whole community -- not isolated. Really Serenity is what pushed me to humble myself (or be brave?) and start talking. I started with people who have some kind of obligation to care about me: husband, family, church leaders. Then I started opening up to others. In conversations it usually started with someone asking about when/if Jon and I were trying to have kids, and me responding honestly whether or not that what they wanted to hear. I figured if they had the cajones to ask, they'd better have the cajones to listen.
Jan 1 at 5:59 PM · Like · 5

Rachel Adams McGovern You are a delight!
Jan 1 at 6:10 PM · Like · 1

Tasha Moon My word for 2013 was Healing. Looks like we were on the same page!
Jan 1 at 6:54 PM · Like · 2

Kalli Anne Hamilton Fuentes I love you, Mo! Other than the eyesight thing, I can identify with everything else on your list to a shocking degree (but I'm on the need-to-start-tackling-it end of things). I would love to talk to you sometime about post-partum depression.
Jan 1 at 6:58 PM - Like · 1

Megan Harris Flager I think you are amazing, Mo. I can relate to almost everything on your list. In fact, I can admit that when I found out I was pregnant again, I cried from fear. Not the reaction I hoped to have. *Sigh* I'm inspired by your ability to face and work to overcome.
Jan 1 at 9:32 PM · Like · 3

Lisa Salazar Tingey I loved reading about your 2013--feeling very inspired now. Thank you!
Jan 1 at 9:35 PM Like · 1

Cambria said...

I love hearing your successes this year. You inspire me! I also love Sammy's little "and it came to pass" moment ;)