Sunday, October 19, 2008
Shoulds, coulds, and the great beyond
Another example of defying the societal "should be" is a bit closer to home. I started dating a guy a couple months back. He's shorter than me (although we both claim to be 5'8") and younger than me (by a couple years). Traditionally, the man is taller and older than the woman. As a result of this stereotype, I've had a lot of fun observing people's reactions when they find out we're "together." I always thought relationships could be happy. Like Kurt's experience, this has also proved to be one of those times where even the idea of what could be is overshadowed by joyous reality. And for the first time in a long time I am ridiculously happy.
Back to Kurt's story -- his own dream of becoming Norwegian Idol was realized. But even this accomplishment was surpassed as he went on to win World Idol versus pop idols from across the globe, including our own Kelly Clarkson. Take a look at the next clip as Kurt sings his World Idol winning take on U2's "Beautiful Day."
Times like these are precious -- moments wherein our pre-conceived notions of what should've or could've been are shed and discarded in favor of a more excellent reality.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
congratulations yourself! I am so glad that you are ridiculously happy.
loved the post, Mo! And I'm THRILLED for your happiness! Way to shoot for the "could be's" and not let people's expectations dictate your dreams and joy!
Silence, you.
Well said! I'm so glad that you're happy :) You have always been a good example to me of choosing the "path less traveled by" in good ways.
Thanks for the comment on my blog! This is a fun way to keep in touch :)
shoulda, coulda, woulda
i often feel that our pre-determined blueprints for life are so lackluster when we juxtapose them with the reality of things, even of the unglamorous things, even of the sometimes ugly things. i love the beauty in relinquishing and letting life lead us, rather than always the other way around.
oh mo, what a delight to have you in my life!
I miss you, babe.
March is the finest of all months in the year. Congratulations, love. I am HAPPY :)
I think you are awesome. Thanks for reminding me what is really important. I think sometimes we get so caught up in what other people tell us is best, that we forget to look into our own souls to find what really makes us happy. I'm so glad that you are happy! You deserve it!
elephants.
Congrats, MO! Once again, I love the way you think and you phrase things. You're amazing! Love the happiness!
Now we've had two more months of silence. How are things going with you? I'll keep checking for an update.
Post a Comment