But, yes, you know me well. Here's what's comin':
Shabby Apple photography . . . I hate to say it, but it kinda drives me nuts. They are close to being really good, but with a few annoying shortcomings. A hand chopped off here, a foot there. At times, incredibly unattractive angles and lighting. I get the whole "vintage free-spirit" vibe they're trying to send. I even feel they are trying to imitate the photography in the Anthropologie catalogs -- a worthy endeavor. But, if the Shabby Apple photographer ever somehow stumbles across my blog, learn this from the Anthropologie photography team: 1) detail counts; 2) edit down which photos you post; 3) advise your models to look less into the camera . . . toward the camera is fine but not into the camera; 4) remember that fashion photography is about selling a lifestyle, not just clothing.
The following are pictures from Shabby Apple and Anthropologie which I will use to illustrate my points. (Note: In the following I will comment on the photography, not on the models or their clothing but as it relates to the final image.)
![]() |
| Shabby Apple: This girl is looking right into the camera wearing a really cute dress and looking like a tourist in Rome. Picture is about girl in dress, red scooter, and Italian architecture. |
|
|
| Shabby Apple: A girl in a wrinkly cotton dress and polka-dot scarf tries to hail a cab. A world of art and architecture looms behind this girl, but you can't help but feel how disparate the two are. If the dress doesn't look good on the model in a certain picture, don't post it! Another example where an editing eye would have been helpful. I didn't count the number of images of this dress on the website, but there were too many. Edit down to the good ones.
Well, for now, ranting completed. My next post I promise will be of a much more positive and non-ranting nature. :)
|






3 comments:
I really enjoyed this photography rant, actually. I can definitely see what you're saying, but probably would never have been able to put my finger on what bothered me in the Shabby Apple pics without your analysis. You've got a very experienced critical eye, I'd say. :)
And I gotta admit, I LOVE the very first photograph of the lady in the white outfit with the classy car. makes me aspire to being more classy.
I love this post. You are so talented! I'm so grateful I had you as my engagement photo photographer. I think those are the best photos of me anyone has ever taken. They are the only ones I actually like!
That was super interesting! I've always wanted to know the things that take a picture from good or "almost there" to IT. You shed some light for me!
Post a Comment