Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Confidence -- where does it come from?

For Maria von Trapp it came from sunshine, rain, and knowing spring would come again, but for many others (according to this videojug clip and this) confidence comes from having good oral hygiene and having "approachable" body language.

My sister-in-law Kara has just taken the dive into the pink, applauding realm of Mary Kay consulting. This means that (in true missionary manner) she has been going door-knocking, Wal-Mart-, Target-, and Macey's-contacting, and street-contacting to find people to whom she may give free facials and pedicures. Each week she attends a meeting where other area-based consultants cheer for those who had the biggest selling weeks. After a week of particularly discouraging work, we started talking about what it takes to appear confident in intimidating situations.

Looking back to the time shortly after my mission, I remember feeling so out of place and such an anomaly in Provo society that I took measures to prevent myself from being noticed. I didn't participate in ward social activities even when I wanted to. I sat on the back row of my classes, even though I know I do better when I'm at the front, me being near-sighted and all. All my opinions were hedged with 'maybe' and 'I don't know, but . . ..' My admitted preference for speaking Tagalog over English at the time didn't help things either. I walked on eggshells constantly around roommates and even some friends -- but my latest bout of self-analysis brings me to admit that in many of those situations, I was the one who placed the eggshells oh so delicately in my own way. I was the one who imagined that certain things would become issues if I tried to change them. One example from that period, I waited until my roommates moved out before I moved around the furniture in the living room and bought slip-covers for the ugly couches. Would my roommates have objected to this plan if I had voiced it at the beginning of the year? Probably not. I allowed myself to remain at guest status in my own home by not actively trying to make it my own.

I know I'm not alone in having the need to feel "un-noticed." I know I'm also not the only person to wonder how to take on intimidating situations. We each have our own El Guapos. What we sometimes lack is the ability to clearly understand our own needs and how we can best meet them, or the humility to recognize our own weaknesses and how to overcome them.

What I can say is, I am a different person now than I was a couple years back. What has made the difference? Is it purely a matter of dental hygiene? Perhaps. I do floss more now, after all. Have I made my body language more approachable-looking? Positively. However, was it from studied effort to appear more friendly? No. Something deeper-down changed and I found many things inside myself that I hadn't realized were there. The standing up straighter and eye contact and openness came after.

I had to realize what I was worth. Obviously not in pecuniary measurements, but in my own estimation of myself -- was I worth taking a stand for? In daily interactions, was it kosher to consider my schedule and my preferences before taking into account those of another person? Was I still worth something even though back then I wasn 't dating anyone and had only ever been in Platonic relationships? The unequivocal answer to these questions is a yes!, and a yes!, and a yes! A pertinent scene from The Lord of the Rings: "Two Towers" is where Samwise convinces Frodo that there is still some good in this world worth fighting for. Well there is some good in each one of us that is also worth fighting for, even if it means merely brushing your teeth more and not slouching.

And now, just because I know this post will make you all want to youtube it anyway, "I Have Confidence" from Sound of Music, sung by Julie Andrews:

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, Mo, I love how you can take an idea or a personal conflict that we have all experienced to some degree and express it in such profound terms that one cannot help but nod, murmer "yeah, that's right!", and feel a deep bond of connectivity between oneself and the brilliant author of such beautiful words: namely, you. Or actually, if you consider the true source of your inspired thoughts and admirable elocution: the Lord Jesus Christ. Thank you for being a window to His wisdom and for sharing your insights without fear. With confidence, one might say. :)

Michelle said...

Confidence is empowering, but often insecurity is a good tool. It shows us when our lives aren't the way we want them to be, or shows up when we have behaved inappropriately. This is only when insecurity is the exception, not the rule. I feel naked and vulnerable and mean when I am not confident, but I know I'm probably just as mean and vulnerable and naked when I am confident. I just see the world in a different way. Maybe I'm talking about confidence or arrogance as a defense, instead of an offense. Who knows? I'm glad you are happy. The end.

Anonymous said...

I like reading this post. I'm sad to know that I'm one of the roommates: I'm sure I would have let you move it--I really liked it when I saw it! I remember it took me a long time after my mission to feel "normal" again.

...I'm also sad that I didn't know how to be a better roommate/support during the post-mission phase! I've def. noticed the your transformation into one confident gal, and it is glorious.

just a little bit mo said...

The funny thing is, looking back I know you both probably would have liked the furniture arrangement and the slipcovers, etc. If I had been in your place, I don't think I would have known how deal with me back then either. :P

Margaret said...

Mo, you sound just like my mother a few days ago (which is a very, very good thing, in case you're wondering). I went back to Virginia to visit the family last week, and the first thing she noticed about me was my poor posture. Ever since, she has been telling me to develop confidence from the inside out. I am so glad you wrote all of this down, since I've already forgotten what she said. It's as if you read her mind and recorded it all down for us! Thank you!