![]() |
| Older BBC version with Timothy Dalton as Mr. Rochester |
However, last night at the movies, I came to understand more clearly her perspective. One of the previews was for an upcoming adaptation of none other than Jane Eyre. I must confess, I laughed through the entire preview. They made the book seem like some kind of horror/action/romance. I have no idea how they wheedled out a PG-13 rating from that book unless they really play up the few moments of violence with extra shots of blood and guts.
Aside from that, to me the lines heard in the preview are delivered in a way that really does make Mr. Rochester and Jane seem like the worst match ever, just as Elisa had said was her impression from a previous movie version. Even their choice of actors seems amiss. They appear to carry a little bit too much Hollywood gloss and glam to make them fit for the multi-faceted and self-admittedly "plain" and "ugly" main characters. (Although she does a good job of looking the part when she goes off on how she's poor and little.) Cinematography and set design look beautiful, though mixed in with strange special effects (black smoke shooting out of chimney???). These are my impressions based solely on the one preview. In short, if any of you see it and love it, I am willing to hear your defenses and perhaps repent laughing at it . . . perhaps.
For your own analysis:

2 comments:
I think Jane Eyre may never be adapted to film perfectly (or even well, on the vast majority of attempts). It's because the big selling point of Jane Eyre is Jane's voice and her perceptions and thoughts. Doesn't translate too well to screen. (Same with Great Gatsby—Nick describes him as having a smile that thinks the best of you, magnanimous, etc., etc. As charming as Robert Redford's smile is, it's not that, and no one's is.)
ooh, I'm flattered-- a post about me! (sort of). And of course, Mo, you are absolutely right. I SHOULD read the book, for the movie I saw couldn't possibly have been doing it justice. Perhaps when I'm finished with school...
Post a Comment