Thursday, July 12, 2012

Art and Fear

Back in my undergrad days, we were assigned to read Art and Fear. A great book for the mind that wants to be creative and hits a block. The main point I drew from this book: the great artist is the one who isn't afraid of messing up. One who just creates without looking back, let the result be what it may.

Fast-forward to yesterday night. Our new neighbors took us on a tour of their home. I wish I'd had my camera to show you pictures. They are artists without fear. Their hot-magenta fireplace bordered by mis-matched, varying-shaped tiles and found objects collected over the years which they grouted into the wall. The kitchen is painted green with yellow countertops and crowned with a series of tiles made by friends at a party they once held.

The opposite wall from this, the wife is painting a new boldly-colored mural . . . over their last one (which picture she showed me on her phone). She just wants something that feels new and "without so much green." Both were/will be wall-sized art pieces. Gives a fresh meaning to "putting your own art on the walls."

That doesn't even begin to tap the surface of how awesome this house is.

The basement is basically an homage to pop culture. The basement tv area is filled with Batman memorabilia, mostly from the animated tv show. The husband's office is filled with action figures and dolls, including everything from Star Wars to Edward Scissorhands to Spice Girls action figures to dolls of Jacob and Edward from the Twilight series.

I have never in my life been so entertained on a house tour! This home is a pure reflection of the owners.

Like I said, they are artists without fear. All the elements I've described (and more that I have not) came together in a way that was so cool and so fitting. It was incredibly inspiring to me.

I, too, need to find the courage within myself to fearlessly cover the walls of my home, without worrying whether it's the "right" choice or not. Chances are, there are multiple versions of "awesome" that would work. Now, to shove my doubts aside and paint!

Update 9/19/12 - The mural almost completed.


3 comments:

Lydiahawke said...

Can I just tell you how happy I am that you are blogging again?! Also I am excited to see what your newly inspired creativity brings to the world! Love yoU!

Unknown said...

ditto Lydia's comment-- I've missed you!

While I gain tremendous inspiration from artists without fear such as in the home you described, I find that I my personal desire for my home (and decor) has less to do with being 'creative' as it does with being at peace. Simple, clean lines with texture but not too much patterning. Think zen or spa and you've got it. I gravitate toward neutrals with just pops of color to add vibrancy and deep, warm woods to bring nature into the room. I was laughing about it to myself the other day because my vision of dream rooms seems to be centered around blues, teals, greens, creams, and dark browns. Every room has an element of one of these. Kinda funny, eh? So while I might sew a beautifully vibrant sherbet colored orange and pink baby blanket for a friend, my own child's room is a soothing periwinkle blue with white,dark brown, green and khaki accents. So much for being fearless at home? Or maybe the motivation is just different. I'm not going for being avant garde at home. What about you? What is YOUR personal style at home? I'd love to see pics.

just a little bit mo said...

Thanks to both of you! I'm glad people are actually visiting the blog again. It helps that my computer isn't in baby's room anymore and I can post more frequently. Also I have many months-worth of ideas on which to post.

@Elisa - my personal style is still being discovered. haha! While I love bright colors in clothes, in dinnerware, and on other people's walls, I tend to lean toward colors that read as neutral. We were actually looking at paint swatches yesterday and they are mostly reds, oranges, and purples which is a step out of the box for me. A big step! But one I'm excited about. I may do a future post on what my idea of an awesome interior looks like...thanks for the inspiration. ;) Love what you're doing with your house, btw.