Monday, July 30, 2012

Been Hacked? Try Last Pass


I don't know if any of you use Last Pass, but you should 'cause it's awesome.

After my old junk email account got hacked, and hundreds of filthy spam emails spewed from my account into the inboxes of my unsuspecting friends, I started looking for ways to make my online experience safer. My husband had heard of Last Pass but didn't know much about it. So we researched into it, were impressed, and signed up.

It's a secure site that stores all your usernames and passwords for you. It can generate super secure passwords, then remember them for you, and automatically enter them for you so you don't have to. From what I can tell, it's secure. You just need to remember your Last Pass master password, and they'll make you create a toughie.

After I got through the brief initial learning curve, I replaced all our old bank passwords (which weren't really that tough) with very secure generated passwords. The same for my email and facebook accounts.

They also have a little diagnostic you can run to test how easy-to-hack your passwords are. Then they give you a score. So far my score on the "Security Challenge" has risen from a dismal 48% to a slightly less dismal 55% . . . I'm still working on it. 

So whether you've been hacked before or you're just questioning your decision to list all your passwords on a piece of paper, Last Pass may be a good option.

Didn't really intend this to be a plug. But, eh, it is what it is.

Be safe.

No comments: