Trouble developed when I tried making my daily posts into things I am thankful for. That may sound like I am not thankful for many things and surely there are things still take for granted. However, the trouble came in trying to find time to make a daily post that was sincere and thought-out while being good and fun-to-read -- not slapped-together last-minute mish-mash . . . like my last post.
So today I pull out one of my drafts from earlier this month and finish it.
I am thankful for my in-laws. I like them. I like being around them. That says something.
A few specifics I appreciate about them are as follows. My in-laws remind me:
1) Traditions can be good. The biennial Colorado Christmas is just one example. In their home, come Christmas, it's always the spouse's challenge, privilege, and joy to fill their own spouse's stocking with goodies. My husband's stocking has good "stretch" to it (to his great delight), so last year in addition to the usual stocking-stuffers, I also threw in a football . . . and it fit!
2) It's ok to be me. Despite The Beatles Help! fiasco of last Christmas, and the fact that my taste in comedies (and my sense of humor/taste in everything) is generally . . . different . . . than that of my in-laws, they still give my movie selections a try. (If you read this, in-laws, you really should give The Complete Works of Shakespeare: Abridged a try.)
3) Having children is a good thing.
4) The occasional feast may be worth the effort. My own family's holiday feastings are becoming more and more casual (as you will find out in a future post). Having a huge feast of delicious foods makes a bright and glorious imprint on the memory . . . nay, on the soul!
5) It's good to have photos of life events, big and small. People tend to think that because I'm a photographer I must be that person with the camera always at the ready at every family event. Actually, that usually is not me, unless specifically requested. Lugging around the camera makes me feel more like a recorder of things than a participator in things. However, my in-laws have helped me realize that a balance can be struck, and I have some photographic gems as a result.
Thank you, mom and dad N, for raising my husband. Thanks to the siblings for influencing him. Thanks for accepting me and letting me be a part of your family.
Thank you, mom and dad N, for raising my husband. Thanks to the siblings for influencing him. Thanks for accepting me and letting me be a part of your family.
No comments:
Post a Comment