Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Thoughts on Reading/Lists of Books

I'm a bit tired of seeing those 100 books-everyone-who-wants-to-be-considered-remotely-in-tune-with-anything-must-read lists. Academicians, scholars, and otherwise educated-folks are surely behind them . . . surely.

Here, I hit a snag.

You see, I'm no longer sure about who really is behind those lists of books. Or why their list and not someone else's should guide anyone's reading decisions. What things do they want me to be in-tune with that these are the books they recommend?

I think a better guide for my reading choices is "What do I want to be in-tune with?"

This all leads me to a confession. A few months back I attended a Relief Society picnic where I ate delicious food, met a few sisters, filled out one of those "getting to know you" sheets, and . . . lied. Yes. I lied. Right into the face of a couple sisters I was trying to become friends with.

While filling out the "getting to know you" sheet I came across one simple question:

"What is your favorite book?"

Words like, "Aw man, that's tough!" escaped my lips.

The two sisters sitting to my right looked up. "Which one?"

I told them, and then our conversation took an unexpected turn . . .

"Oh really? 'Cause I don't really like reading books," said the brown-haired one.

It is true, my dear readers. I met someone over the age of 14 who doesn't like reading. (This same girl graduated college with a 4.0 from UVU. After she made her comment the thought ran through my mind, "4.0 at UVU? Interesting." Now you know my true colors, forgive me and proceed.)

The other sister (blonde) nodded and added, "Yah. I don't really like reading either." They dived into conversation about their mutual dislike of reading.

At this point the phrase "One of these things is not like the others . . . " bounced merrily through my mind.

Then they turned to me, "What about you?"

Like some character from a J.D. Salinger story who lies without really knowing why, I said, "Yeah-ha-ha . . . Reading's over-rated." And I threw in some hashed-together half-truth of a time when goshdangitall, I just didn't want to read!

Yes, reader. I, too, am shaking my head.

I wonder now if it isn't those very trumped-up reading lists that turned these girls off to reading. It's intimidating to think of all the books you "should" read just to get a foot in the door. All that reading just to match up with one group's standard for intelligence.

My own standard is much simpler: Have a mind of your own and read whatever the heck you want.

But read.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

lol, somebody's going to call one of them to be the person in your ward! :)

that's why I like to read reviews, esp from people I trust. Someday, when I'm all finished with my thesis and can read whatever I feel like reading, I'll dive back into Goodreads and start tackling whatever sounds intriguing. I really enjoy history and documentary, but they can be exhausting after a while. So I usually go every-other-book: light/frivolous/romantic/action/fiction followed by classic/fine literature/international/history/biography/documentary... so far, it has worked out for me wonderfully! I look forward to being able to get back to that pattern instead of having my reading list dictated by a professor.

Lydiahawke said...

"The [wo]man who does not read good books has no advantage over the [wo]man who can't read them." -Mark Twain

Not sure if this is the exact quote but I like it. Interesting since the RS places a huge emphasis on literacy and teaching women how to read. But I've read all the Twilight books so I don't know how valid my comments are.....

Katrina Reinert said...

Yeah, those top one hundred books for literary masters or whatever are always so frustrating to me because...I might like "To Kill A Mockingbird" and it is a pretty easy read but....I wanted to kill myself by the time I got to the end of "Anna Karenina" (no joke intended)
I don't want to read War and Peace. I don't want to read Tale of Two Cities. I didn't skip reading Grapes of Wrath because I heard that it was "bad" and "sinful". I skipped it because...I don't like John Steinbeck's writing.
I do love books but I hate being told that I'm not an intellectual if I don't read THOSE books.

But Mo...you are so intelligent and funny and amazing to be around. Don't pretend to be anything but what you are! You lovely intellectual, you!
I have totally been there though. And then I start pretending that I know stuff about Brad Pitts married life.

I thought that you were going to say that these ladies were like, "The Book of Mormon is my favorite book!" Which...also annoys me because...yes, of course it is a great book filled with eternal truths. But that is also like saying my patriarchal blessing is my favorite short essay.

just a little bit mo said...

@Lydia - My views on the Twilight saga have softened, though I still have not read them. Also, your views are always valid. I too was pretty surprised by their attitude since Relief Society really does encourage reading and enriching your mind.

@Katrina - I try hard not to downplay myself in these social situations, but it still happens sometimes. Also, your last paragraph made my day. haha!

just a little bit mo said...

@Elisa - one of them just got called to be my co-teacher in the Laurel's class. ;)

Thirdmango said...

One of the reasons why I became a TV guy was because I got so tired of so many people telling me my opinions on movies weren't valid because I hadn't seen any number of movies they felt were the best. Now I've come to find I just don't care and I like my own opinions so they shouldn't stop me from doing what I like and not doing what I don't like to do. But like Elisa said I will follow people who's opinions I trust in finding new things.