Sunday, September 29, 2013

Thoughts from yesterday

Yesterday the prophet said, "Wherever we are in life there are times when all of us have challenges and struggles. Although they are different for each, they are common to all."

His words struck me deeply. We all really do have individual challenges and trials unique to each of us. Yet they are common to us all. It's this last part that stuck with me. "Common to us all."

It's true. Our challenges and trials are unique --  only a certain circle of people are personally affected by the bad action/choice/happening/circumstance. Yet, sometimes we like to think that our challenges and struggles set us apart from the rest of the human family. "I've gone through such and such . . . what can you neophytes know of it?" (I'm as guilty of this line of thinking as anyone.) But this pattern of thought leads ultimately to isolation. Isolation is a dark place. It can lead us to feel like complete and utter misfits on the face of the earth.

Yet, because we are brothers and sisters -- because many of us have individually made the covenant to help bear each other's burdens and mourn with those who are mourning -- their challenges, their trials, their burdens also become ours. The troubles of the individual become the burden of the whole.

Burdens are meant to be shared! Those who lack strength at the moment to lend a hand should be cared for, helped, healed.

I've been thinking of this a lot since yesterday evening. What am I really contributing to life to make it better for any one person?

All I know is, I'd like it to be greater than what it currently is.

No comments: