Friday, December 21, 2007

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, Completed

Sometimes there are just things that resonate with your deep-down soul. Such is T.S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" to me. It sings of both hesitation to embrace what is truly beautiful and a painful awareness of plastic societal demands. Uncertainty underlies every decision. The desperate feeling after the realm of the beautiful is sobered by demands of a world of constant misunderstanding, shallow relationships, and the continual passing of time. What follows is my attempt at capturing the essence of this poem, and hopefully express in ways that words cannot a glimpse of that deeper something.


Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?



Among some talk of you and me



Prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet



Do I dare disturb the universe?



How do I begin to spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?



I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across the floors of silent seas




I have heard the mermaids singing each to each. I do not think they will sing to me.

8 comments:

musky ferret said...

OH MY GOSH! I can't believe you finally finished! I love, love, love, it so much. I love the last two. You can tell by my excessive usage of exclaimation points! He is perfect for the job! Geez, that man is an amazing model!

Did you ever use the clothes I gave you? If so, send me the photos. I want to see.

musky ferret said...

Also, your link doesn't work. I also adore the tie photo. Right on. I'm so proud of you. I like the comrade remark as well.

musky ferret said...

I want that Helper photo. When are we going on another road trip to a random city? Good times.

musky ferret said...

Sorry for all the comments, are those my pants in the first photo? Annie's feet?

Mark Weinberg said...

As mentioned during the critque...amazing images. I just keep looking at them again and again.

Myra Bybee said...

Wow! These are beautiful photos! And I love that poem. I am going to have to read it again.I really am impressed!

Lydia and Josh said...

you AMAZE me!

Anonymous said...

We are analyzing this poem in AP lit right now it makes me think of these pics and how you are such an amzing photographer.

peace&&love,
kristin