I've grown tired lately of "measuring out my life with coffeespoons," as T.S. Eliot put it. Sawa na! Humdrum routine has lulled asleep the part of me that wants change and greater experience for far too long. I was recently awakened from one of these stupors by my roommate Lydia who invited me on a cross-country roadtrip. She's decided to take a leap and move to an unknown part of the country; and, she's invited me along for the ride. I have to table everything in my daily and weekly routine to make room for the trip. I'll be visiting three states that I've never been to before with one my of my closest friends--welcome the unknown! It was a little frightening at first to think of putting aside work and classes for something as seemingly frivolous as a roadtrip. Yet, as the idea took hold, it invigorated me. I can leave these things behind (and more!) and do something that I will treasure much more in the long run. So, with my newly expanded vision, I've decided to take the bull by the horns and work toward some things I've wanted to do my entire life. Thus the list that follows:
1) Climb through the Himalayas.
2) Visit Tibet, China, Mongolia, and Lake Baikal.
3) Learn Portuguese.
4) Return to Porto Alegre, Brazil.
5) Live in a small Irish village.
6) Go scuba-diving somewhere in the Pacific, perhaps off Kiribati.
. . . and more. But, this should keep me and my camera busy for the next little while.
5 comments:
é pau, é pedra, é o fim do caminho...são as águas de março fechando verão, é promessa de vida no teu coração...
I can help you out with at least one of those goals...maybe two ;)
MO! my friend! i've been thinking about you a lot lately and how i haven't seen in way too long. i intend to remedy this terribly sad lack-of-MO situation. Tenho saudades de você, minha amiga!!
Woohoo! Let's go to Tibet! I am so ready. Don't forget your camera.
Good for you, I'm a big road tripper and love it when people go on them. Let me give you some cool road tripping tips. 1. If someone says stop the car cause they saw something neat, stop the car and take some pictures. This may take more time and you may not hit everything you wanted but it'll be worth it in the end. 2. Keep a travel log of everything from the mundane to the amazing. 3. When traveling to your destination see if there's a way to travel back a different way, it'll make the ride back just as exciting.
Also very good travel goals, I actually have many of the same travel goals, I mean my Brazilian city is different then yours. Different Countries, but still you should do them, if I do become the big traveler like a plan on, we must design a trip in the future for some awesome locale.
Now I understand why you said you thought of me while writing this list. Sometimes I think I should do the good girl mormon thing and settle down. But then I think, with whom? Then I think again. Tanzania.
Also, I will know after a couple weeks, hopefully, if I will be able to get a decent paying job in the big apple. i mean, i have one now, but eight bucks an hour isn't going to fund jerusalem. Maybe that is what FASFA is for.
Post a Comment