Every year since I can remember, I've tried to learn a new skill or develop a new talent. A few years back it was learning to quilt. Then, I decided to try ice-skating -- I'm still not very good, but I don't have to stick to the wall anymore. Upon entering the art program I learned tons about photography and art in general, though this is still a skill I'm attempting to develop further. Going on a mission forced me into learning things I never even knew existed, including learning one of the most useful languages on the planet -- Tagalog.
The skills I've been working on lately are swimming and learning to play the guitar. It's my ornery streak, but I refuse to give up on these till I'm at least better than competent at both. Future skills up for consideration are learning a bunch of other as-useful-as-Tagalog languages, completing a documentary-style photographic project, and many many more.
One skill, however, that I refuse to learn (several sprained wrists later) is roller skating. I realized recently that I like to feel in control of my body, including being able to follow along a gently rounded curve without having to first run myself into a wall in order to stop then stiffly turn myself around, as happens when I go roller skating. So, tonight again -- as has happened in so many of my previous BYU wards -- there is yet another ward activity out at Classic Skating. And I, cantankerous female that I am, refuse to be persuaded into yet another date with folly -- and falling.
Instead, I'll play with my guitar. Or actually do some homework. Perhaps I'll read beyond chapter 1 in the Dalai Lama book John lent me. Maybe I'll actually keep reading in that Helen Keller autobiography that has been sitting on and off my shelf for the past couple months. So many options. So many possibilities. No roller skating. Sounds like a good night.
5 comments:
call me, I must tell you about the Chinese guy I just talked with! I don't think he is legit.
Ha, I remember when I went to classic skating with my byu ward - I had so many bruises the next day that it was painful to sit down. Ow. enjoy your reading.
hey, wanna go to classic skating?
Holy crap! I cannot blog. This is so ridiculous, or I am too ridiculous. I did something not on purpose, or was it with purpose? You must call me. I am laughing so hard right now, I know you will love it. Also, it is all dewy right now and there is this fluffy-taled rat stealing tomatoes from the garden. I watched him and thought, dang, MO would love to photograph this. It was beautiful.
Post a Comment