
I first heard about the movie "Hobson's Choice" in my early teens and I remember looking for it online and in stores back then. No luck. About a month or so ago, it became available on Netflix. My long wait was not in vain! The movie was even better than I'd expected, with many a delightful accent . . . you'll want to talk like the two main characters by the time the film's done.
Come to find out, the title of the movie (and the plot) are actually centered around an old phrase called a "Hobson's choice." From Answers.com I learned the following: a Hobson's choice (noun) is an apparently free choice that offers no alternative. It comes from a man named Thomas Hobson (1544?-1630) who owned a stable where he allowed his cumstomers to choose the horse nearest the door, or none at all.
Any Hobson's choices you've run up against lately?
In case you want to see the movie, or at least get a bit of a preview, follow this link:
Hobson's Choice
My disclaimer: Google video, not I, posted this movie. I'm personally planning on buying it once it comes down from $35+ on Amazon.
3 comments:
I'd like to see this one!!
Ha! I love that Adam Lambert song and the break that goes, "Oh. Oh. OH!" So funny.
Damn, Tom Petty will break your heart. "It'll All Work Out" made me ache from someplace too real to explain.
Post a Comment