
- From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg-- I love the main character Claudia and the relationship she has with her younger brother. Their successful run-away-from-home-and-live-in-the-Metropolitan-Museum-of-Art adventure was an inspiration to me growing up.

- The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare -- A young man's life changes as he learns about the Jewish rabbi from Nazareth. Set in Jerusalem at the time of Christ, this story is ultimately about forgiveness, change, and healing.

- Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain -- Memorable characters, great writing, and a fantasy world based on Welsh legends make for an awesome series. It shows the importance and ultimate benefit of honor, friendship, and sacrifice.

- Call it Courage by Armstrong Sperry (still ranked among my favorites)--How the son of an island chief learns to overcome his fears and live up to his name Mafatu which means "Stout Heart."

- The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (a really fun read!) -- A mystery novel on one level, but a story of moving on and growing up on another.

- Number the Stars by Lois Lowry -- A Danish family attempts to help their Jewish friends escape to Sweden during WWII. Newbery medal winner.

- Tuck Everlasting (please, please, please read the book and avoid the movie!) -- A young girl runs away from her restrictive high-class life and into the woods where she meets the Tuck family. She finds out that after drinking from a certain spring in the forest they have become immortal -- interesting issues about life and death are explored.
- Bridge to Terebithia by Katherine Paterson (again, read the book and avoid the movie!) -- A young boy gains courage and confidence from his friend, Leslie. Together they create an imaginary kingdom across the creek called "Terebithia." Delicious writing in this book. I love how the friendship they form helps them both to deal with tough things in their lives.
The Wish Giver by Bill Brittain -- Fun book. Easy read. Four people each get a wish apiece from a stranger who comes to town vending "wish cards." You see the effects of their wise and not-so-wise wishes.
The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes -- The misunderstood, drabbily-dressed class-nobody stops coming to school. Two of her class-mates' consciences are pricked for not having befriended her and they try to find out what happened.
- Matilda by Roald Dahl -- A genius little-girl finds a way to outsmart her nasty parents and use newly-budding powers to overcome the evil head mistress at her school. Everything comes out beautifully in the end.
Most, but not all, of these books are Newbery medal winners or Newbery honor books. What books would be on your young-adult must-read shelf?
8 comments:
A friend of mine has a theory that you become friends with the people who read the same books as you when they were kids. Well... we must be soulmates. Just about every book on here has a special place in my heart. Though I've never read The Bronze Bow--I'll have to check it out.
I was just thinking about Mixed-Up Files a couple of weeks ago, thinking that I needed to read it again. I remember watching the movie years ago and thinking it was fun.
I agree with Lisa, I was thinking the same thing about our friendship and the books we read growing up.
Yet another reason we are lifelong friends! I read most of those books growing up also, and I have to say you have good taste!
I wanted to be Matilda. I never really did youngster literature. I didn't start reading till I was older, but I jumped right into AP lit. Kind of how I learned to speak. I didn't start with one word. I waited and then started with sentences. Well, I can't be sure, but my parents say they were afraid.
Those are definitely some good ones that you have listed. Have you read "The House of the Scorpion" by Nancy Farmer? I really like that one, and she has written some other good ones too. I also would highly recommend "The Chronicles of Narnia" to anyway. There is a lot to those books. And I like a lot of stuff by Madeleine L'Engle too, particularly "A Wrinkle in Time" and some of her other books in that series.
If you liked From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, be sure to check out Shelf Discovery–there’s a whole chapter devoted to it. Lizzie Skurnick, the author, is being interviewed tomorrow by Nancy Pearl.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/LibraryLoveFest/2009/09/23/Nancy-Pearl-and-Lizzie-Skurnick-talk-to-LibraryLovefest
Love this post.
Oh, and Encyclopedia Brown. I just found my copy of one of the books a couple of days ago.
Post a Comment