Friday, September 11, 2009

Recent find . . . The Book of Jer3miah

When I first heard BYU was making a TV show for the internet, I was concerned that students would once again be inundated with "Single's Ward"-esque entertainment. Little did I expect the BYU culture meets sci-fi/mystery of Lost mix that is The Book of Jer3miah. Book of Mormon and Bible allusions are woven into Jeremiah Whitney's journey to find his true identity. The need to remain close to the spirit and listen to its promptings are central to Jeremiah's success -- yet you never feel like you're sitting through a church lesson, helped likely by the fact that each episode is around five minutes long. (Click on this to watch episodes.)

Beware! There is some cheesiness, but most of it is included only at moments when comic relief is needed.

Things I don't necessarily like about the show: Claire's character -- actually I think that's the only thing. Claire, to me, is a flat-out annoying character. She comes across as being a sweet person, but not a "thinking" or truly charitable person. If I met her in real life, I would distance myself from her. I keep wanting to like her, since I know she's supposed to be a good person in the context of the show, but I can't help getting the judgmental goody-goody vibe from her. The same vibes I got from Katie Holmes playing Rachel Dawes in Batman Begins. Her acting is the one thing I hate about the movie that I otherwise really like.

I will stop pretending to be an eloquent blogger on the topic of movies and TV shows . . . all I will say is, watch the show and judge for yourself. Or, follow the New York Times link on the main page to read a real critic praise the webisodes. Here's the link: www.jer3miah.com

No comments: