Monday, July 2, 2012

Home is where the heart is (so your real home's in your chest)

Over a year ago I started looking at those house-selling websites. I knew the time was getting closer when we'd be able to buy. Well, kiddos, good news! We bought a house a few weeks back and now we're enjoying all the wonder that unpacking all your history and personal belongings can afford.

The end of February we decided to get serious about the house hunt -- figured we may as well buy instead of renewing our rental contract which ended in June. During months of searching we encountered obstacles galore, including some very strange ones . . . but I stray.


In the end, it came down to two homes. I found a home I loved. I mean absolutely, through and through, loved. Take a look. Walking through it I could feel the creative juices beginning to flow just by the cool, unique surroundings. Every detail was accounted for. It even had ceiling fans on the huge front porch! (And it's green!)

BUT . . . (of course there's a "but") . . . it was a short sale. And there was already an offer on it. With short sales, you can't just outbid the other guy. You have to wait for the bank or the sellers to back out before your offer will even be considered. This process can take months. Well, we put in an offer anyway.

The other home, I also really liked even though it felt a lot more "plain Jane" after seeing the green one. Neutral brick exterior, white shutters, white walls, white picket fence, basic rambler house plan, low-pitched roof, but there wasn't a thing about it that needed fixing or finishing.

We got under contract on the "plain jane" because we knew we could make it into whatever we wanted. But I asked my dear husband what we would do if the green house suddenly became available before closing. We both laughed that off.

BUT . . . (of course) . . . two days before closing on the house. We found out that the green house had suddenly become available. Of course it had! Oh, universe.

Long story short . . . we had to choose between the finished piece of art, or make one of our own. The process broke my heart a little, to be quite frank. But I'm more than happy with our final decision.

AND . . . we chose . . . the blank canvas. We'll make it into something awesome.

PS: If you want to see photos of the house we actually did buy, contact me through email, fb, o mga iba pang paraan and I can send some.

No comments: