Thursday, July 5, 2012

I am not a hater of Sci-Fi and Fantasy . . .

But here are reasons why some might think I'm a sci-fi/fantasy hater:
  • I feel that a 10 book series could probably be condensed down to five or seven.
  • I have little patience for sci-fi "techno-babble" or fantasy "magic-babble." Especially when the writer has explained everything at length through one character's dialogue then feels the need to throw in a supporting character whose sole purpose in the scene is to translate the previous drivel into a phrase understandable to us neophytes. (I bring two examples to the table: 1) Legolas saying, "A diversion." And, 2) Uhura saying, "An alternate reality." Re-watch them and you'll see what I mean.)

(To my husband's great sorrow . . . and probably Vanessa's dismay) it's the techno-babble that keeps me from being able to watch Strek Trek: The Next Generation. It just doesn't feel authentic to me.

But, friends, you can now witness me coming out of the oh-too-real sci-fi/fantasy closet.

I like Lord of the Rings. The books and the movies. And, I can quote more lines than is healthy.

I like Star Wars - all the ones not directed by George Lucas. Also here, I can quote-mash with the best of 'em.

I like the Harry Potter books! Still iffy on the movies.

I like Mistborn;which I read a couple months back. (Written, I later discovered, by a guy who was mission companions with my brother.)

I like Dr. Who. At least the ones before Matt Smith, and even some with him.

The list goes on. I'm sure there are many out there who can out-quote, who have out-read, and who have out-watched me on the sci-fi/fantasy front. But folks, just lettin' you know: I'm stepping out.

6 comments:

Brandon said...

Brandon Sanderson was mission companions with your brother?! That's so cool!

I'm sorry you don't like Matt Smith. I actually like him a lot. The plots have gotten really complicated though...

Also, I tend to agree with you on the techno-babble, but probably not to the degree you dislike it. Most of the time I think it's pretty silly, but I can get past it. It's also fun to spot the flaws (since Hollywood doesn't really know what they're talking about). A good example: Eureka (the TV series). LOTS of techno-babble (to the point that it's annoying even for me), but hilarious to have things come out like "fire-proof gasoline." Seriously? Think about that for a second. How would that EVER work?

just a little bit mo said...

hahaha! And you understand enough of their techno-babble to know when they are saying something completely off-the-wall.

Matt Smith isn't all that bad. To be honest, we still watched through the newer episodes just as fast as the other ones. I just feel like the episodes after David Tennant took a turn for the worse - there are more plot holes and errors in continuity. Don't know if they have new writers or what . . . At times the lines they give Matt Smith make him "techno-babble" in ways that contradict his "techno-babble" from earlier episodes. So I guess it's not Matt himself so much as other changes.

Brandon said...

I can understand that. I like his bumbling personality and all that, but yeah I suppose the writing is a bit inconsistent.

Vanessa Swenson said...

Oh, MO, Star Trek TNG is about our society's future. They're documentaries sent back to us to help us prepare.
Yes, they're that important.

just a little bit mo said...

@ V - Jonathan would probably agree. ;)

Vanessa Swenson said...

You have married well ;)