Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Third grade show and tell

Everyone probably remembers memorizing the states and their capitals during elementary school. For some reason, a memory came back to me today of a show-and-tell moment from the third grade.

The back story: my older sister was learning a song with the name of each of the fifty states listed in alphabetical order. This was advanced fifth-grader stuff and she needed a study buddy to help her get it down, so who better than her kid sister?

If I remember correctly, she was able to get the song down in no-time. This meant that I also learned the song a couple years early, but I had some trouble around the Ms.

Even with not having it down completely, I was so excited. This was gonna be one awesome show-and-tell! I thought I was so brilliant! I got up in front of the class to sing the 50 states song that ended abruptly at Montana and me saying, "That's all I know." Then returning to my desk. No embarrassment, no shame. I love how uninhibited I was as a kid.

Fast-forward to now. Somehow the song came into my head this morning and I felt like maybe now, as an adult, I'd be able to finish the song. After all, I did end up learning the rest of the song at some point . . .

If I did, apparently it didn't stick. For me, the end of that song will always be at the twenty-sixth state alphabetically, Montana.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I finish strong at Nevada. After that come the "New"s and I just get them all mixed up. I'm hit and miss.

Vanessa Swenson said...

Oh, this made me chuckle and smile.