Monday, August 27, 2012

Picture Canyon


When people find out I'm a photographer, one of the first questions they ask is, "What do you like taking pictures of?" The first time I was asked this, I answered very honestly, "Rocks." The person grimaced, as though that was the worst answer they could have anticipated. Every time since then I've given what I think are more acceptable responses, "Weddings!" "People!" "Documentaries!" "Injustice!" All that being said, I really do like taking pictures of rocks and rock formations.

Now having said that, I should take more photos with people in them when I go on hikes.

For example, I remember everyone who was with us on our jaunt to Picture Canyon, but you won't see them in these pictures. And are not pictures worth one-thousand words? Alas.

Here are some pictures that I did take. Enjoy the ancient and modern :( pictographs and writings.






Apparently star-shaped carvings in stone were pretty significant to the ancients.



The picture above is my favorite of the actual pictographs. Followed by the brown horse one, up further.

Some rock formations. Looks to me like two people dancing with someone clapping just to the left of them:



I really like this greenish-yellow color when it's naturally-occurring.



OK, the one people pic I did take. And the two main people in it aren't in focus. This is why I take pictures of rocks.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

lol. love your last comment. ditto. only I don't take pictures of rocks. I just take blurry photos. :)

Tasha said...

I love taking pictures of rocks! They seem so boring and ordinary in real life, but when you look at them closely, they are beautiful. And that's what photography should be - capturing the beautiful moments of daily life that we normally miss. Hooray for rocks!