Ever told someone you haven't seen a movie only to be told next second that you "have to see it!"? This is ordinarily a fun thing. You watch a movie with a friend. No big deal.
But what if the movie turns out to be the creepiest thing you've ever seen in your life? It kills me how all you have to say is, "Well, I grew up with it." And with that, an un-watchably creepy movie is now okay not only to continue to watch, but to share with the unsuspecting. ;)
Enter Liz. She was shocked, (shocked!), that I hadn't seen Labyrinth. So I watched it with her. Oh dear. Pretty much all I remember besides being creeped out, is that David Bowie is really good at rolling a ball up and down his arm and over his hands. Also, a lot of weird fuzzy creatures with garbled high-pitched voices.
This was followed years later by a boyfriend telling me I needed to see Legend. All I remember is it had Tom Cruise, no plot, and loads of creepiness. Thankfully, I fell asleep during this one.
In a different genre completely, yet another is . . . Saturday's Warrior.
I know I may be stomping on some toes here, but I did not grow up with this movie, and in potentially the worst Young Women's activity I'd ever attended, we watched the entire thing. I tried ducking out to shoot baskets in the cultural hall, but they kept pausing it for me and guilting/dragging me back.
The Dark Crystal is yet another strange fantasy with even stranger gnome-like creatures, as far as I can remember. During this one as well, I thankfully fell asleep.
My husband is a fan of at least three of the above films. He knows how I feel about them, but thinks I'm being unfair. A couple months ago, he said something like, "You must have had some creepy movie you liked growing up. We all do."
I thought about it for a few minutes, then I remembered a movie I had absolutely loved as a five-year-old. It was the only "scary" movie I was allowed to watch as a kid: Return to Oz.
So, using our lovely tv to access the internet, we found the movie was available in ten-minute segments on youtube. We watched it clear through.
For me it was a fine journey down memory lane: the '80s-punk baddies on wheels, the queen with a roomful of heads to choose from, Jack the pumpkin-head, and the flying moose-bust contraption. None of this seemed out of the ordinary. If my husband liked those other movies, he'd be sure to like this one . . . right??? I mean, at least this one had a plot . . .
Hahaha! Silly, silly Mo. I fell into the same hole that I had been dragged into so many times before. After the movie was done, all he could say was, "That was so creepy!" The creepiest part for him was the flying moose-couch . . . which surprised me. I thought the headless lady walking around choosing a new head would be far creepier than magic dust bringing a moose attached to a sofa with wings to life.
Obviously I just don't know what creepy is. ;)





5 comments:
lol, so true, Mo! My favorite cartoon til I was 10 was The Last Unicorn. I got Eric to watch it on Youtube with me a couple years ago and was shocked to discover that I too found it pretty creepy. How was I not scared of that movie when I was 5? I have no idea...
Hahaha, YES!!! Nathan and Becky got me to watch Labyrinth for the first time as an adult. So creepy. Also remember when Ani got us to watch Saturday's Warrior. Before that it was on TV and I was like, "what is this?" and I guessed what it was from your description of its creepiness.
I've yet to see the Indiana Jones trilogy.
I completely agree with all of this. I've never seen Saturday's Warrior because my mom told me that it was the dumbest movie of all time and to not let any weirdo Mormons trick me into watching it. I love my mom.
Secret of Nimh is another one that is creepy. I mean, even the good guys in it are creepy and weird.
But yeah, Labyrinth I watched when I was like....9 and I thought it was awesome. So when I was about 17, I saw it on the black market in Thailand and bought it and watched it with my 14 year old brother and we were both like....oh my gosh...what is this creepy nonsense. On the black market case, they had a bunch of "reviews" from people and one of them was, "This movie has the worst possible ending that I've ever seen." And they were right.
@Katrina -hahaha! Makes me so happy they included that review on the back of the case! So true!
@Jon - The Indiana Jones movies all have creepy parts to them. The only one I ever feel like watching nowadays is "The Last Crusade." It's the least creepy of the bunch.
@Lyd - Yes!!! I remember that. I felt bad that I kept downing it, because she obviously really liked it, but man. I'd already been forced to sit through it once before. lol!
@Elisa - I haven't seen The Last Unicorn, but Jonathan read your comment and was like, "she's right!" He also grew up with it but watched when he was older and was a little disappointed by how weird it was. Memory is funny thing.
Post a Comment