Saturday, September 8, 2012

purple veggies: a quest


Recently, I decided I need more purple veggies in my diet. Not just eggplant, which is mostly white on the inside, but veggies that are purple or purplish through and through. If each different color of veggie represents different vitamins and minerals in that veggie, I'd better be getting a variety. That's my way of thinking anyway. Also, I like the idea of getting my vitamins and minerals from food sources rather than pills. (This stems from my distrust of multi-vitamins, but that's a different story.)

I consistently include green, orange, and red veggies (well, tomatoes are fruits, but still) into my diet. Purple, however, has been tricky.  Months back, I went on a quest to bring purple into my diet. First, I found purple (well, "red") cabbage and learned to cook with it and add it raw to dishes. Next, I found purple potatoes. (So awesome! So tasty!) That was followed by beets (not exactly purple, but close). Here are some pictures that I've snapped along the way. 

I may make prints of these and hang them in my kitchen. Veggies make me so happy!






6 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the shot of the cabbage. and I think purple veggies are pretty. I've never tried edible flowers in salads, but purple flowers could be lovely. (a vegetable? how would you categorize that?) what about purple chard? or purple radishes? Cooking with lavender and Thai basil (which has dark purplish leaves) could be fun too...

just a little bit mo said...

Oooh . . . I haven't explored the option of eating purple flowers. I did make some rose petal jelly a couple years back but that was with mostly white and pink roses. We have some lavender in our garden, I'll have to try cooking with it when it blooms again next year.

Unknown said...

BEETS!!! Oh how I would love to make you my borsch. If you are feeling daring you can find the recipe on my blog......
And Micah told me that multivitamins increase your mortality rate. So. Basically they do nothing for you. Except maybe kill you.

:-)

just a little bit mo said...

@Betsy - I'm totally gonna have to go find your recipe. We have about 6 beets that need using! Also, tell Micah thanks for validating my mistrust of multivitamins. :) haha!

Becky said...

I love beets but be careful how many you eat. It will turn your pee pink! First time it happened to me I thought I was dying. HA!

just a little bit mo said...

Thanks for the warning, Becky! They can also stain just about anything they come in contact with, I've also discovered.