Whatever the reason, it's because of the performance that Sunday -- the sole reason -- I am acquainted with the hymn "How Long, O Lord Most Holy and True."
One girl with her four mallets, intently tapped on her instrument while the other girl sang. The voice and instrument blended beautifully.
I wasn't aware that there was a Halloween hymn to be found in the LDS hymnal. And I'm sure this one was not intended as such, but . . . it is actually very appropriate. It is a haunting hymn, (even with a five-minute marimba solo preceding the final verse). It's the only hymn (to my knowledge) written from the perspective of those who have already passed on who are waiting for their temple-work to be completed.
The hymn always crosses my mind this time of year, though I have yet to actually sing it in a ward gathering of any kind.
For those interested, a link to the hymn and lyrics from lds.org (a new tab or window will open).
Happy pumpkin-carving, corn-mazing, butter-beering, and Halloween-hymning to the lot of you!
Update (same day): The Mo-Tab version of the song as found on youtube.
Update (same day): The Mo-Tab version of the song as found on youtube.
1 comment:
How interesting!! I never knew this. And it is a lovely song. I should like to suggest this one to the ward chorister.
Post a Comment