Friday, November 2, 2012

Two-Hundred! Count 'em up! Celebrate!

Yes and thank you for joining me on this ride. Today's post is in fact my 200th on this blog (not counting the drafts cemetery).

Of course, I had to think of some brilliant, oddball way of celebrating. Thus today, it's all about the numbers.

I've decided to take the numbers from the titles of several different pieces I've recently read or re-read and total them till I reach the number 200.

Don't worry, the list isn't long -- only seven bullet-points.


1) The Twelve Huntsmen - Folk tales, myths, legends, and fairy tales often have glaring plot holes and/or require huge leaps in logic, which can be alternately frustrating and hilarious. This story is an example of hilarious.

The tale includes a snubbed princess and eleven other girls (who look exactly like her though that has no bearing on the plot) who dress up like men; a lion of prophecy and truth; gender-testing that includes things like peas, stomping around like a man, and not talking about spinning-wheels. (I can think of more sure-fire gender tests, Mr. Lion.) This story provided a raucous ride of laughs.

So we have 12 Huntsmen + . . .



2) 100 Years of Solitude - This book is beautifully-written and I really like it. I have been told by at least two close friends that the book is "bad" and "pornographic" and "too much." So, I can't really recommend this for everyone. If it eases your mind at all, just know that the ants win out in the end. (I haven't actually read this one recently as I have with the others, but I wanted to move the numbers forward . . . )

12 Huntsmen + 100 Years of Solitude = 112, 112 + . . .

3) "Snow White and the Seven Deadly Sins" by R.S. Gwynn - I first read this poem in high school and it's obviously stuck with me, I re-read it just the other day.

112 + 7 Deadly Sins = 119, 119 + . . .

4) 1984 - A great book. Currently reading this one with my husband because (can you believe?) He's never read it. Obviously 1984 is greater than 200, so I'm adding 1+9+8+4 to the overall total.

119 + 1 + 9 + 8 + 4 = 141, 141 + . . .

5) Fahrenheit 451 - Also currently re-reading with my husband. Yes, we concurrently read multiple books -- there's at least one more not on this list (but it could have been, The Book of Three). Again, I'm adding 4+5+1

141 + 4 + 5 + 1 = 151, 151 + . . .



6) The Thirty-nine Steps - Published in the early 1900s, this is a non-stop action-adventure. As in, NON-STOP!!! You don't know who you can trust in this story. Fun read.

151 + 39 Steps = 190, 190 + . . . 



7) Ten Little Rabbits - We read this one a lot to Sammy at night-time. The illustrations are fun and the writing has a nice beat to it.

So, 190 + 10 Rabbits = 200

Happy 200th post to you all! You can celebrate by letting me know some of your favorite past and/or current reads with (or without) numbers in their titles. Cheerio!

No comments: