Thursday, November 1, 2012

Apples and Garlic

Probably wouldn't taste good together. Here are some photos I took of each one. I kind of love the color picture of the garlic. Who would've guessed how those pinks would come out? Amazing. One more reason to love garlic.

I love the delicate pinks. This photo is less about garlic, shape, form, or texture, it's all about color.

This may be my favorite of the garlic black and whites. I just like the scruffy feel of the garlic in this one.

I like this one in color. The yellow is nice, and golden delicious apples happen to be my favorite.

However, I kind of love this in black and white. Texture, form, whatever . . . this photo makes me wanna go eat an apple.

Note on the pictures: Because people have wondered how much Photoshop is used in these pictures (which is always a bit disheartening when people ask), I'll tell you this: the photoshopping on these fruit and veggie pics is minimal. This whole project is about keeping things simple and real, from subject matter to set-up to lighting to post-work. 

Here's the scoop: I shoot in RAW, meaning that no matter what, some post-work is necessary. Minor adjustments were made to white balance, contrast; I turned some black and white then readjusted contrast, and occasionally cloned the background into a corner that I missed. Other than that, everything is in camera. I'm not photoshopping out "blemishes" or layering image upon image to get the highlights, midtones, and shadows I want. I'm not blurring the background, using the liquify tool, or running any filters. I hope that satisfies my curious kittens. ;)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you're just THAT talented with the lens!!!

and I LOVE the 'scruffy' garlic!

just a little bit mo said...

Haha! Thanks, Elisa. I debated on including that last bit of explanation, but it really gets annoying when people assume that a good picture is only good because of photoshop.

The Garcias said...

You weren't wrong! I can almost hear the crunch of the garlic skin in the second picture! Beautiful pictures, all of them but my favorite is the first. Thank you!