Jonathan held a sentiment early in our marriage which he again alluded to last week, illustrated here:
He mentioned starting up Netflix again since we've seen our movies a billion times etc etc. Then this, "All our movies are either ones I bought, ones we've bought since being married, or [take special note, dear reader] the chick flicks you brought into the marriage."
"The chick flicks I brought into the marriage." Interesting. Which could those be? Let's go on a little detective journey through my film collection.
Surely, the first movie he thought of when making this comment was The Fugitive with Harrison Ford. As any movie aficionado knows this movie is primarily an emotional journey for Dr. Richard Kimball. The fist-fights, train crash, dam-jumping, stitching up of wounds without anesthesia, and general running away from the law are mere sideshows.
Or, if that wasn't the first one he thought of, it must have been The Bridge on the River Kwai. Some of you may think this movie is a psychological battle of wills between Colonel Saitu and Colonel Nicholson, offset by large explosions and military-speak. Wrong. This movie really centers on William Holden being shirtless in Southeast Asia.
Lawrence of Arabia is another contender. The notable lack of females in this film really means only women will want to watch it. I mean, check out all that man flesh and drool, ladies. Drool, I say!
On the Waterfront centers on the touching love story between Eva Marie Saint and Marlon Brando. Few men can even stomach this film, despite its almost obligatory references to boxing, mob bosses, and conflict of conscience.
Ok, ok. Enough sarcasm. I could make a longer list (and I'm sorely tempted because I'm enjoying this) but I won't.
So here, Jonathan, I publicly repudiate your assertion that I only brought "chick flicks" into the marriage.
6 comments:
LOVE THIS!!
Unfortunately most of my movie collection that I came in with consisted of an odd variety of family friendly Disney/Dreamworks movies and raunchy comedies....all illegal DVDs from Asia.
But Aaron's collection was Sin City and....yeah...that was about it.
that's hilarious! I think your defense sways the jury without much effort!
and it sounds like you brought some quality films to the marriage! I think I all brought to ours was Other side of Heaven and church films.
I knew we were kindred spirits. The best chick flick I brought into my marriage was "The Dirty Dozen." You know - sniff - when the Nazis climb over the wall - sniff - I love that part!
Which I guess shows that I know how to quote "Sleepless in Seattle," but my first paragraph still stands.
@Brooke -haha! That's my favorite bit in Sleepless in Seattle. Makes me laugh every time. The Dirty Dozen is a great chick flick. ;)
Ah, yes. Sweeping generalizations. They always, always backfire. I'm sure your lovey will learn this soon enough.
(I love "The Fugitive." I've seen it a million times and happily watch it a million more.)
I am laughing so hard right now...!!!
Post a Comment