Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Changing the Look of the World One Measuring Tape at a Time

Spring and summer are on their way and it is time yet again to look through the old wardrobe to toss out the old and bring in some new.

While reading through the New York Times online, I came across an article that provided a possible help to my "what to keep, what to toss" problem. It hailed a company dedicated to women, specifically, getting them to wear clothes that fit and flatter them. My interest was piqued. I'll admit to having seen my share of "How Do I Look?" and "What Not to Wear" episodes. Small changes in the way people dress can make huge differences in the overall look. Maybe it ties in to my "photographer's eye" -- a few adjustments in the "minor" details makes for a cleaner overall image.

I was skeptical about the company's claims. How could entering a few numbers into the computer let them know what you would look good in? Feel comfortable in? How could they figure out accurately what styles would look best? What formula do they use? Dressing yourself well doesn't seem like something that can be solved by formula. I found myself following the link www.myshape.com just to be able to vent at such foolishness. Surprising to me was how much detailed information they wanted. You have to measure yourself in about a billion different ways, figure out what "season" you are, list what stores you usually shop at, and tell how you like your clothes to fit you. So, I took fifteen minutes out and actually started measuring myself.

I was pleasantly surprised. The clothing options they offered were high quality and fashionable. While a bit too pricey for my miserly nature, it gave me a good idea of what kinds of cuts and styles would be most flattering to me personally. The options are a bit limited and not really of J. Crew or Abercrombie caliber, but chances are you'll find something you'd like. So, if you're a woman reading my blog and want to figure out some basic cuts and styles that will flatter you throughout this coming year, check it out. I think you'll be surprised with the results.

9 comments:

Lydia and Josh said...

Sounds like a cool sight. Where did you find a tape measure?

just a little bit mo said...

They'll actually send you a free tape measure when you sign up for it, if you want one. Since we didn't have one here anyway, I had them send one. They seriously are all about having women dress their best.

Anonymous said...

I dig the photo. i do not dig what not to wear. I think i would say no if they wanted me to go on national television like that. anxiety, ugh.

JM Hurst said...

It makes me so sad to see elephants in chains. They should in the jungles of Thailand, with tourists on their backs.

Myra Bybee said...

Yes, I think I will try this. I love what not to wear and always want some help in that department.

Alison said...

I want to be the lady in that photo.

Anonymous said...

Mo- where did you find that photo of me? I thought I'd gotten rid of all evidence of my circus days. But, it did make me smile to see Daisy again (the elephant to my left) I raised her from birth, after she was orphaned. It’s her dung that my mom uses to fertilize our garden. Ahh. Baraboo.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Unknown said...

Mo, I tried that site. they definitely give ya lots of clothing options after all the measuring, but I wasn't really impressed with the little info about actual cuts and styles that I should try to find for my body shape. I disagreed with some of the recommended items, having tried similar things on myself and knowing how NOT cool they look! Oh well, I guess you can't win them all. Also, I just read on your blog about how sick you were in Feb! How awful! Are you feeling better?