Monday, April 21, 2008

To Watch or Not to Watch


R-rated movies. We are all confronted with them. We all have the choice whether to watch them or not.

Sentiments are split, even among a purely LDS audience. Having said that, I've realized two things: just because someone isn't LDS doesn't mean they just go out and watch R movies; also, just because someone is LDS doesn't mean they won't watch R movies. To illustrate, I offer the following stories.

A Catholic woman, just a few years older than myself, sitting next to me on the airplane from Nashville to Denver had a lot to say on the topic. She expressed disgust at the "smut" and "crassness" that were becoming more and more common in all movies, even those with lower MPAA ratings. She has made the choice recently to avoid R-rated movies and be careful about the PG-13 movies she watches, as well.

I find that same attitude is shared by the majority of members, as well. Some go so far as to say "no R-rated movies" is written in the "For the Strength of the Youth" handbook; or, if not there, that it was said over the pulpit in a General Conference. I have gone and personally checked through Conference talk searches on LDS.org. Everywhere we are told to avoid inappropriate media, especially if it borders on the pornographic. However, nowhere in the "For the Strength of the Youth" pamphlet are "R" movies specifically stated. The most recent counsel concerning media choices is as follows:
“If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things” (Articles of Faith 1:13).

Whatever you read, listen to, or look at has an effect on you. Therefore, choose only entertainment and media that uplift you. Good entertainment will help you to have good thoughts and make righteous choices. It will allow you to enjoy yourself without losing the Spirit of the Lord.

While much entertainment is good, some of it can lead you away from righteous living. Offensive material is often found in web sites, concerts, movies, music, videocassettes, DVDs, books, magazines, pictures, and other media. Satan uses such entertainment to deceive you by making what is wrong and evil look normal and exciting. It can mislead you into thinking that everyone is doing things that are wrong.

Do not attend, view, or participate in entertainment that is vulgar, immoral, violent, or pornographic in any way. Do not participate in entertainment that in any way presents immorality or violent behavior as acceptable.

Pornography in all its forms is especially dangerous and addictive. What may begin as a curious indulgence can become a destructive habit that takes control of your life. It can lead you to sexual transgression and even criminal behavior. Pornography is a poison that weakens your self-control, changes the way you see others, causes you to lose the guidance of the Spirit, and can even affect your ability to have a normal relationship with your future spouse. If you encounter pornography, turn away from it immediately.

Depictions of violence often glamorize vicious behavior. They offend the Spirit and make you less able to respond to others in a sensitive, caring way. They contradict the Savior’s message of love for one another.

Have the courage to walk out of a movie or video party, turn off a computer or television, change a radio station, or put down a magazine if what is being presented does not meet Heavenly Father’s standards. Do these things even if others do not. Let your friends and family know that you are committed to keeping God’s standards. You have the gift of the Holy Ghost, which will give you strength and help you make good choices.

Moroni 7:12–19
(“Entertainment and the Media,” For the Strength of Youth: Fulfilling Our Duty to God, 17)
On the other side, a friend of mine, a returned missionary, doesn't accept or reject a movie based on its rating alone. To him, other factors are more important than the MPAA's reasons for the rating. I've heard from him, and others, that the MPAA system is biased and completely subjective to their own standard of morality, which may or may not mirror your own. Anything so closely connected with Hollywood could hardly escape corruption and moral relativity. My friend instead finds himself asking the questions, "Is the message good?" "Does it have artistic merit?" "Will my understanding of the human condition and my sensitivity to it increase?"

Analiesa Leonhardt expressed mixed feelings over the ratings issue, as well. To her, some PG-13 movies were a complete waste of time, and she left feeling revolted. Among R-rated movies that she's seen, like Schindler's List, she felt it was not only a good decision to see it, "But it was important to see." She added, "My point is, with ratings so inconsistent, ratings are not a logical or effective way to pre-judge a movie."

I personally have re-committed myself to avoiding R-rated movies and any kind of media regardless of rating that would desensitize me to others' needs. Excessive violence and explicit sex scenes do leave an imprint on us -- and whether we want to admit it or not, it affects the way we treat other people. But before that, it gains command of the way we view ourselves.

Will I ever see an R-rated movie again? Chances are, yes. Many films have value that go beyond the rating. Will I seek them out? Most likely not.

Here I will pose two questions: If you watch rated-Rs, why do you? And if you don't, why not?

And for those interested who want to be more informed about a movie's content before they actually view the movie here is a website that has established ratings of its own: Kids-in-Mind.com. It pretty much lists everything you could possibly find offensive in good detail before you go to see the film. Watch out, it will most likely turn you away from many of the movies you want to see.

14 comments:

JM Hurst said...

So, who is the unnamed returned missionary friend? Has he been to Taiwan? Anyway, as I was telling you before, I believe that the highest form of art is realism. If a work of art, be it cinema, painting, photography, or literature should be a reflection of life as it is. Idealism is okay sometimes, but realism is what inspires me. As such, I make my movie choices based on this. Is sex bad? No, of course not. Is sex before marriage bad? Of course. Is viewing sex bad? Yes, if done so in a pornographic fashion, or with the express desire of titillating oneself. However, if there is a movie with a hardly illicit sex scene in it which shows the guilt and true emotion (rather than the typical Hollywood no regrets, live for the moment attitude), I think this type of scene is important for people to watch. There is something to be said about making something so taboo that it begins to intrigue the youth. Adult issues deserve to be talked about, not pushed under a rug. My stance is the same for violence. If violence or sex is portrayed in a movie in a way that glorifies it, rather than showing its true nature, I think it is a movie that should be abhorred regardless of the rating. If it is a movie in which the true nature of these things (violence, sex, drugs, language, etc) is shown, I think it is an important piece of art from which we can all learn. I think everyone should watch Blood Diamond. Also, ratings are really arbitrary (as your nameless friend already stated...) and each movie really should be reviewed on a case by case basis.

JM Hurst said...

Here are some links for your consideration:
http://www.nauvoo.com/library/card-r-rated-movie.html
http://www.meridianmagazine.com/arts/991105movieratings.html

I laud those who feel they can accept the blanket rule of no R-rated movies. I personally feel, however, that I have the responsibility to myself and others to evaluate each movie on a case by case basis. That being said, I have only seen 5 or 6 rated R movies ever, and two were before I knew what the American ratings were.

T.Douglas Robbins Esq. said...

The argument is not R-to-be or R-not-to-be, but rather: will I bypass my connection to God and His spirit for film? I agree with John that there are plenty of thought-provoking films that run the fine line of impropriety, but that if something represents reality for reality it has some merit.

I think that the members of the Church that advocate watching R-rated/unrated films are generally not seeking understanding or identification with God and His children, but rather how can I feel comfortable with my compromises.

Anyhow, I could be wrong about the "generally" part, but from the friends I have and have had (ha!) the principle is not freedom to choose, but freedom to choose whatever I feel is expedient.

Kelli Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelli Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelli Nicole said...

I can't get the link to show up in it's entirety, so I'm facebooking it to you. Link it if you wish.

Kelli Nicole said...

In the article, Ezra Taft Benson says, "Don’t see R-rated movies"

T.Douglas Robbins Esq. said...

And if you read Orson Scott Card's essay on President Benson's address, you will notice it is directed at young men to avoid immorality, lewdness, and pornography in all its forms including R-rated films.

Which brings to my mind the idea of relativity. The reason you will never hear a General Authority say "don't watch R-rated films" in a general setting now is due to the large population of Church members outside of the United States. Therefore, it'd be a lot like telling a white American to never attend Cinco de Mayo festivities. "How does that relate to me? Oh well..."

Hmm... Would the Church ever come out and describe the "R" equivalents in all the nations there are congregations? Of course not. The principle is to follow the Spirit and base your decision on proper knowledge, not assumption based on political rating systems.

Case in point: Fahrenheit 911. Whether you agreed with the film or not, it was a documentary addressing a very contemporary issue, and it was purposefully tagged with an R-rating to prevent a certain viewership from ever stepping foot inside the theater to give an ear.

Interesting. If anyone wants the links to the research on that occurrence, I can find them for you.

I guess the short-winded point is: R-rating is a U.S. Mormon cultural development. Outside of the U.S. the members of the Church approach media primarily through principle-based decision making, in my experience abroad.

T.Douglas Robbins Esq. said...

I would also clarify: I also have seen a handful or two R-rated films in my lifetime as well. I rarely decide to watch one.

I did recently watch Dogville with Nicole Kidman, directed by Lars von Trier (Dancer in the Dark), which is R-rated (my Ethics & Values professor suggested it for a paper I had to write).

The film was amazingly depressing, but caused me to be incredibly introspective about the concept of hospitality. There was a graphic rape scene, which I skipped through, and a couple of other suggestive abuses of that nature. I totally disagree with a depiction such as this.

The film was very interesting and raised loads of ethical questions, but I wouldn't recommend it to family/friends as is, unedited (which is a whole other discussion).

I feel torn about seeing as it was motivational is stretching my thoughts and yet it did depict rape, one of the most horrible crimes against a human.

So, anyhow. I am complicit and yet willing to seek guidance.

Weird post? Yes. Sorry for how many there are Mo.

Michelle said...

I agree with what John and Todd said about the depiction of things needed to be a realistic conveyance of life, not just a glorification sex, drugs, violence, rock'n'roll, filthy language, etc. That is what has made the difference for me in the handful of R-movies that I've seen.

And, John, I was actually quoting a different returned missionary--one who served in Brazil. But I think your arguments are more compelling than his anyway, so thanks for the comments.

Michelle said...

Whoa, that wasn't me. I would never call John, my blog/friend nemisis of five years, compelling. Who has hacked the system? I am afraid, so very afraid. Currently changing URL's and hiding profiles.

Oh John. We made brownies. I like your well and that long porch that stretches across the front of your house. Eat that!

Myra Bybee said...

This is a good post. I feel like all the things that need to be said have already been said. I don't watch rater R movies, but it is a very personal decision to be made for all of us.

Lauren said...

Yeah, I've gone back and forth on this issue many a time. I will say this... I grew up watching a lot of R-rated action movies, because my dad was the only member when I was really little and he wasn't active, so R-rated flicks were pretty normal at our house. They gave me LOTS of nightmares! Seriously, I'm shocked how much those movies stuck with me. When my mom joined the church and we all got sealed, we got rid of the R's and I noticed a really positive change in our house. Nonetheless, my parents still occasionally go see or rent an R-rated film. I tend to agree that some movies, like Schindler's List, are really hard to watch, but I'm not sure that we shouldn't watch them. I've been able to enjoy some R's with Clearplay DVD players, which are legal (unlike Clean Flicks) and filter out all the bad stuff. It's pretty cool... you can set the filter as high or low as your want it on all of these different levels (for categories like violence, language, sex, blasphemy, etc.) I'm still trying to figure it all out. But for now, I think that's a decent compromise.

Will said...

All I know is that there are good PG-13 movies out there, but the AMAZING movies that really impress people and make everyone's top 5 movies of all time, are rated R. If these movies aren't what the 13th article of faith are addressing then there is VERY little in the world that is.