Many people I talk to (all of us the cost-conscious sort) say they do the majority of their grocery shopping at Wal-Mart. I know they do price-matching and accept any coupon which is kinda nice.
Today, however, I am grateful for Macey's grocery and Day's Market.
1) They are locally-owned and their employees are always happy, which I take to mean that they are satisfied in their workplace and compensation. (I like the locally-owned because I know my sales tax will recirculate back to me in other ways.)
2) They are located in places that are relatively pedestrian-friendly. This is an enjoyment I get once or twice a week - taking a nice extended walk with Sammy and using his stroller as my shopping cart. It also conveniently limits impulse buys. I only have so much space to cart things home. Needless to say, watermelons and pumpkins are reserved for "big purchase" days when I take the car.
3) They give all their employees (managers and grunts alike) Sundays off. I like that they care enough for their employees to give them a set day off every week. I'm also happy that the owners actually practice what they purportedly believe. They are Christian and so tout belief in "keeping the Sabbath Day holy." (I am likewise impressed with photo equipment giant B and H Photo. They are Jewish-owned and close on Saturdays.)
4) I'm also grateful for the man who gave me a rosebud while I was standing in line at Macey's, for the kind couple who picked up my tab late one night, for Elaine who always shares a couple yummy and easy-to-make recipes with me each time I go through her lane, for the checker who noticed the cracked egg earlier today and sent someone fetch me a new dozen, for the older gentleman at Day's who noticed one of my tires was dangerously low and left a little note on my windshield.
I'm thankful.
3 comments:
My dad always made us shop at Macey's because they were closed on Sundays. It was always way too crowded. At least they had soft-serve Ice Cream.
My brother in law works at Macy's in the dairy dept. - we miss Macy's quite a bit and have fond memories of it!
We love Macey's for their friendliness. They never grumble, even when you ask for a roll of quarters for laundry. We've tried shopping at other grocery stores closer to our home, but always end up back at Macey's because they are clean, friendly, and an asset to our community. Hooray for hometown businesses!
Post a Comment