I can't ignore the impact "
The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" has had on my life -- how it helped me through college,
how it crept into my photography before I even realized it, how lines from that poem often pass through my mind. The most poignant passage for me being this:
| And I have known the eyes already, known them all— | 55 |
| The eyes that fix you in a formulated phrase, | |
| And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin, | |
| When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall, | |
| Then how should I begin | |
| To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways? | 60 |
| And how should I presume? |
While I still turn to "Prufrock" with fondness, another Eliot poem is quietly usurping its place. "
The Waste Land." What else? This passage is one that I'm currently gnawing on:
| What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow | |
| Out of this stony rubbish? Son of man, | 20 |
| You cannot say, or guess, for you know only | |
| A heap of broken images, where the sun beats, | |
| And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief, | |
| And the dry stone no sound of water. Only | |
| There is shadow under this red rock, | 25 |
| (Come in under the shadow of this red rock), | |
| And I will show you something different from either | |
| Your shadow at morning striding behind you | |
| Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you; | |
| I will show you fear in a handful of dust. |
While I don't understand
everything you have written my dear Thomas Stearns, thank you for beautiful, meaningful things.
No comments:
Post a Comment